What are United Airlines Carry On
United Airlines Carry On
Category : Airlines / Posted on: January 21, 2023 / Author: Admin
United Airlines Carry On
How strict are United with carry on?
How strict is United regarding size and weight restrictions? This is a common question that passengers ask before they board their plane. So, we did some research.
Let's review the rules before we dive in.
Basic Economy ticket holders
You can only take one item with you if your ticket type is Basic Economy.
You can bring your full-size bag with you to the gate. However, you will need to check it in and pay $25 for gate handling fees.
There are some exceptions to the rule. If any of these apply, you can still follow their main carry-on rules.
- Passengers traveling across the Atlantic Ocean
- Mileage Plus Premier members and travel companions who travel on the same route as you
- Primary cardmembers of Star Alliance Gold or qualifying MileagePlus credit Cards.
United's main carry-on allowance (depending upon ticket type)
You can bring a main carry-on onboard for those who have other tickets, provided it doesn't exceed these dimensions.
22x14x9 inches (56x35x22 cm).
This includes any wheels or handles.
United's personal items policy
Each passenger can bring a small item to board in addition to their main carry-on. It must be within the following dimensions: 9x10x17 inches (22x25x43 cm)
However, airlines rarely inquire about the dimensions of personal items, provided they can be carried under the seat.
You can generally take your toiletries through security provided that each bottle does not exceed 100ml/3.4 fl. oz.
They should fit in a single, see-through, resealable bag not larger than 20x20cm/ 7.8x7.8in.
You can also bring a personal item or one carry-on bag. Other items include jackets, umbrellas, books, food, and cameras.
Anything that is not considered "luggage" should be allowed.
What are the restrictions on United carrying on weight?
Similar to Delta Airlines, United does not place weight restrictions on your personal or carry-on items.
This means you can focus on the dimensions of your bag and not on other things.
What is the United States' policy on carry-on size?
United is very strict when it comes to carrying on size.
They will also be more thorough than other airlines because Basic Economy ticket holders can only take one item.
You could easily get caught in their tight space because of this.
If the plane is jammed, they will likely enforce their rules even more strictly.
This ensures that only those who follow the rules are given priority.
I have a slightly large carry-on bag. Should I take it with me?
It doesn't matter if your main bag is a suitcase or hard shell.
You won't be allowed to fit United into the steel cage if United wants to go through a quick spot inspection at the gate.
You may be able to get away with it by using a soft-edged bag such as a backpack, which will allow you to compress it and possibly squeeze it into the sizer.
Even then, there is always a chance that you will have to pay more.
United baggage fees
You may be subject to a substantial penalty if you take a chance and are caught out.
It would often be less expensive to buy a bag that is compliant.
You can find more information about your route and fare types on United's website.
United Express Carry-On Rules
Regional airlines partner with United to operate United Express flights. They typically use smaller aircraft that have less overhead space than United's regular aircraft. Express aircraft often have larger carry-on and rollable bags that cannot fit into the overhead bins. You will need to check your bag at the gate and United will return it just outside your destination. If your luggage needs to be checked, make sure you remove all vaping equipment and e-cigarettes.
Restrictions on the United Basic Economy
If you have Basic Economy tickets, you can only bring one item to your flight and no bag.
- You are travelling on trans-Atlantic flights between the US, Mexico and Central America, El Salvador, Panama or South America.
- You're on a trans-Pacific flight from or to the USA.
- You are a MileagePlus (r. Premier) member or companion who is traveling on the same reservation.
- You are the primary member of a qualifying MileagePlus card or Star Alliance Gold card.
What can I bring on board a United Airlines flight?
United Airlines allows passengers the ability to bring liquids, gels and aerosols on board their planes as long as they comply with TSA's liquids rules. All liquids, aerosols and gels must be limited to 100 millilitres (3.4 ounces) and can only fit in one clear, sealed quart-size bag. Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and mouthwash are all subject to this restriction.
You can bring the following items on board United Airlines flights:
- Jacket or coat
- After clearing security, you can purchase food and drinks at the airport.
- Magazines, books, cameras and souvenirs purchased at the airport.
- Diaper bags
- Breast milk pumps
- FAA-approved safety seat or child restraint system
- Assistive devices like canes crutches and collapsible chairs
- Prescription medication can be prescribed using medical devices
- Portable oxygen concentrators
- Pet carriers (service fees will apply)
- Vaping pens (or e-cigarettes) that can be used in flight, but cannot be charged.
- Remove lithium batteries from their devices and insulate them to protect against crushing or puncturing
- Avalanche packs with Lithium batteries below 100WH
- If the item is not hazardous (such as biohazards), liquid nitrogen can be stored in vented bags
- Battery-powered air purifying respirators that have been removed and stored before being transported
If the instrument is in a hard case, and there is space under the seat or in the overhead compartment, you can take small musical instruments like guitars and violins with you.
United Airlines Prohibited Items
United Airlines' carry-on policy prohibits any item that is restricted by TSA. Before you fly, we recommend that you check your items with the TSA's What can I bring webpage. The following are prohibited items that you can carry on United Airlines:
- All matches and lighters (if you are leaving Beijing)
- Smart bags with removable lithium batteries
- Powder-based substances over 12 fluid ounces (350 millilitres). Medically prescribed powders, baby formula and human remains are exempted from duty. However, such items must be kept in tamper-evident bags.
- Bags for self-balancing and self-riding
- Any type of fuel can be used to power camping equipment
- Self-defence sprays (mace and pepper sprays, teargas)
- Torch lighters
- Explosives include fireworks, gunpowder and flares.
- Ready-to-eat meals with flameless heaters
- Shock absorbers
- Knives, guns or any other weaponry
- Sporting equipment that could be used to make a weapon
- Avalanche packs with 1.4s or CO2
- Recalled, damaged, or defective batteries
Several household items that are not considered essentials can also be included on the United Airlines Prohibited Items List. These items cannot be checked in or carried with you.
- Spray paint, cleaners for the home and pesticides are aerosolized
- Drain cleaners
- Gel fuel
- Matches (the strike anywhere kind)
- Torch lighters
- Spray starch
The potential for injury to passengers and crew members in recreational self-propelled vehicles or devices that can transport people and goods are prohibited. These devices include:
- Air boards
- Wheeled self-balancing devices
- Bicycles powered by batteries
- Vehicles on wheels
- Electric scooters
- Motorized or riding suitcases
These are United Airlines' carry-on rules. Keep in mind that carry-on policies can change at any time. You can check with United to make sure your carryon luggage or packed items meets the airline's current requirements.
They are stricter than others and will likely check your bag for size. We recommend that you take precautions and invest in a bag that is fully compliant.
You should consider using a soft-sided bag if you are going to take a chance with United. It will give you more flexibility with the sizer.
United Airlines Office Addresses
- What is United Airline Baggage Policy
- What is United Airlines Tracking
- How is United Airlines Seating
- What is United Airlines Seat Map
- Does United Airlines Refunds
- What is United Airlines Redeem Miles
- What is United Airlines Pet Cargo
- What is United Airlines Mileage Plus Login
- What is United Airlines History
- What is United Airlines Flight Confirmation