Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
Cancellation or purchase of a ticket within 24 hours after booking. If a ticket is purchased less than seven days prior to departure, the airline must either: Allow consumers to cancel their reservation and receive a refund without penalty for 24 hours.
If you book at least two days before departure, you have up to 24 hours to request a refund. All ticket types are subject to the 24-hour cancellation policy. Reservations made as part of a group block are not eligible for the 24-hour refund.
Refunds will only be given for the full amount.
- Sale-imposed non-refundable taxes
- Booking through Reservations: Service Charge
*If your ticket was purchased through a travel agency, or other booking source, please contact them to request a refund.
You can request a refund online if you purchased your American Airlines ticket from us. Within 7 days, we will process your refund to your original credit card. It should appear on your statement within 1-2 billing cycles. We'll process your return within 20 days of receiving your complete refund request for cash and check transactions. Refund requests must be made within 1 year of the original ticket date. Refunds for tickets that have expired will not be processed.
Except when indicated, American Airlines cannot refund non-refundable tickets.
- Within 24 hours of the purchase of your first ticket, you can cancel.
- You decide to not travel if there is a change in your schedule that exceeds 4 hours.
- You decide to not travel if there is a schedule change that takes place within 90 minutes of your departure time.
- The passenger/travel companion dies
- Change in duty/military orders
- All refunds will be given back to the original payment method. Sometimes supporting documents are required.
- Some taxes may be refunded if you are unable to pay.
- If the airline does not impose taxes or fees specific to a destination, they can refund them.
- If American is under an obligation to pay, regardless of whether it's for travel or taxes, fees and taxes won't be refunded.
- Refundable taxes or fees will be returned to the original payment method
Refund requests must be made within 1 year of the original ticket date. Refunds for tickets that have expired will not be processed.
The ticket's original issue date must be at least one year before your new trip can begin
You cancelled the original ticket prior to departure of the first flight. The ticket's remaining value is lost and it cannot be used for future travel. No refunds will be given if the service or product you purchased was not provided by an alternate flight.
- Bag fees (refunds not applicable to bags purchased online)
- Pet fees
- Priority boarding
- Standby or same-day flight changes
American Airlines does not charge cancellation fees. American Airlines has eliminated cancellation fees for domestic and short-haul international flights.
How to tell if your American Airlines tickets are refundable or not
- You can view the fine print in your original booking confirmation email.
- Call American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300
- Logging in to your American Airlines account will allow you to view your booking details.
You can get a refund up to 24 hours after you purchase your ticket. If you book at least 2 days before departure, you will be eligible for a refund. All ticket types are subject to the 24-hour cancellation policy. However, you can get a full refund if you cancel your trip within 24 hours. * Reservations made as part of a group block are not eligible for the 24-hour refund.
You may request a same day flight change at the airport on aa.com or by calling Reservations.